I’ve recently been baking bread like crazy and have been experimenting with some different recipes and this one is my favorite versions of an easy whole-wheat bread. At the bottom of the recipe I have a link to a coupon for $1.00 off of any Bob’s Red Mill Product.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey if not vegan
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp flaxseed
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached All-Purpose Flour + more for rolling
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp oats
- Combine warm water (like bath water, or 110 degrees F / 43 C), yeast, sweetener, salt, flax seed and flours in a large mixing bowl and stir. Stir until well combined. When you can’t stir it with a spoon anymore, knead and turn it in the bowl with your hands. Add flour until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides.
- Lift the dough out and lightly grease the bowl with nonstick spray. Cover and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature and then 2 hours in the fridge.
- Make a small hole in the dough and pour in sunflower seeds and oats. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead about 20 turns. Form into a loaf.
- Place in a lightly greased loaf pan or baking sheet and sift flour over the top to help keep the dough moist. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) toward the end of the dough resting time and place a metal or cast iron pan on the lowest oven rack. Also have 1 cup of hot water ready.
- When the oven is preheated place in oven on middle rack. Then carefully pour hot water into the pan on the rack beneath. Expect it to bubble and steam; then close oven door quickly.
- Bake the bread for 26 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and risen.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Then remove from pan. Let it cool completely before slicing.
Click on the link below to print a coupon to save $1.00 on any Bob’s Red Mill product!